- What if I do not know my beginning odometer reading
- (The IRS wants some real numbers, not just a vague guess of the total.). Document daily as you drive, the trick to being able to prove your deduction is to write down the miles you drive for business as you drive them, otherwise its a tough challenge do you need odometer reading for taxes to convincingly recreate history after the fact.
- The best source for a starting odometer is to estimate it from an oil change receipt or other service receipt which usually contains an odometer reading for that point in time. You should consult with your tax professional to see how this applies to your specific tax circumstances. What Records Do You Need to Claim a Vehicle Mileage Deduction? Two repair receipts or other documents with odometer readings, one near the first of the year and one from near the end of the year, would be needed as verification of the total miles driven.
- TaxAudit Blog What Records Do You Need to Claim
- I work for Dr Pepper/7up and I use my own car for work during the day, would I be able to claim anything on my taxes? All these templates were created long before GPS was widely available. youve got a deduction. How many miles did you drive from business destination to destination?